Sunday, August 23, 2009

O Canada

It was a quiet second half of the week at a/perture cinema. Lawren's at that stage where she's waiting to get things finalized before the heavy lifting on the construction gets going. As such, a refrigerated display case was the major purchase on Friday. Since it doesn't shoot out laser beams or teleport tiny puppies, I'll leave the picture out. That does give the opportunity to dig into the reader mailbag and see what's going on. Well, if the US Postal Service wants to cut back on mail deliveries by eliminating Saturday, I'll say the Q&A would probably survive. Our lone question came from Nick in Winston-Salem:

"I have a question about what kinds of movies you will run? If you're theater was open today what movies do you think would be showing? Would The Hurt Locker, Paper Heart, In The Loop, etc. be shown?"

Well Nick, so much of what's been going on with the theater has been administrative, getting ready to go, and behind the scenes stuff, that we'd be lying if we said we were up on everything out there. However, I will say that The Hurt Locker would definitely be in there, as I have had multiple recommendations of that film, with one guy saying he wished he had two extra hands so he could give it four thumbs up. Aside from the other two movies you mentioned, other candidates include:
  • Ponyo
  • Inglorious Basterds (if we could get it)
  • Moon
Along those lines, Lawren's planning on going to the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Guess who's not going. The same guy who got blank business cards. I'm not bitter or anything (I just wouldn't expect a lot of Christmas presents this year, Lawren). There she will hear people say "Eh?" a lot and watch movies all day. I think once she comes back from there, she'll have a good idea of what she's hoping to screen in the first few months of business.

In other news, our almost 2 year old son Jake will not be going to India anytime soon. Apparently the guy dancing on the train in the "Bollywoodin' in the Dash" post is daddy. Should I be flattered that he thinks I could be a giant movie star who likes to dance on trains, or depressed that he thinks I like to dance on trains?

I'm a little late to the party, but the W-S Journal has a poll on their website about whether or not you'd patronize a downtown theater.

Let the poll skewing begin

1 comment: