Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sweep the leg, Johnny!

I really should have know better than to commit to writing a blog during football and the new fall tv season. As you can tell from my updates becoming more infrequent, the distractions are winning when it comes to the free time. We're making a ton of progress on all things a/perture, from learning to make Quickbooks work for us, submitting North Carolina tax filings, installing and setting up point of sale systems, and oh yeah, a lot of construction.


It's during construction that I usually find one of the few advantages of having grown up in Dalton, GA, the undisputed "Carpet Capital of the World". You guessed it, free carpet. My dad stuffed a roll (you can just find it on the side of the road, that's how much carpet there is - no wait, the roads ARE carpet!) into a van with no seats, and braved the elements to bring it up this weekend. Then on Sunday, a/perture screened its first comedy - me, my dad, and my father-in-law attempting to move the carpet into the space. If anyone offers you free carpet if you move it yourself, don't take it. It's not worth it. Thankfully no one was injured in the process.

Another distraction that hit us this weekend was the movie Observe and Report, written and produced by UNCSA alum Jody Hill. I know, a little late, but we've been to the movies about four times since we had a kid. Probably another reason we decided to start our own theater. I get way too easily distracted, but William Faulkner would be proud of my stream of consciousness writing style. Back to my point, I thought the movie was hi-larious, but one of the things that really sucked me in was the soundtrack. Which got me thinking, what's the best use of a song in a movie, that makes the scene and sums up the movie? Joe "Bean" Esposito is the genius that immediately came to my mind. His finest work was used in two films, The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, a documentary about breaking the high score in Donkey Kong (awesome, by the way), and one you're probably more familiar with - The Karate Kid.



If that doesn't get you pumped up, you have no pulse. William Zabka aka Cobra Kai Johnny, if you'd like to attend the opening of a/perture and sweep my leg, I'd be honored. I've also been told to increase the cuteness factor of the blog, so here's our son in the window of the theater.

1 comment:

  1. Tiny Dancer - Almost Famous
    Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future
    New Slang - Garden State
    Sweet Emotion - Dazed and Confused
    Where is my Mind - Fight Club

    ...and with all possible respect given to the aforementioned Joe Esposito masterpiece, the pinnacle of cinematic song placement was provided by one Kenneth Clark Loggins:

    Highway to the Dangerzone - Top Gun

    ReplyDelete