Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Teach them well and let them lead the way

We believe the children are the future, so we make every attempt to teach our staffers more than how to make perfect popcorn and scrape gum off seats (shame on you people who have never heard of wrappers and trash cans). I'm turning the blog over to our latest staffer to move on to other things, this time Eva Hill who is headed back to school at Elon University. However, as the old adage goes, this is more "see you later" than "goodbye", as she just couldn't get enough and will be back random weekends and holidays and we're hoping next summer. Who else is going to entertain us like this?




On to her own words (with possible editor comments in italics)...


This summer, I was given the opportunity to hold a part-time job at a/perture cinema, and with that opportunity, I developed an even greater appreciation of the film industry than I held before. Working at a/perture was not only a chance for me to learn more about film, but it also gave me insight into the theatre business and the distribution process.

As a Journalism major, this experience has provided me with an insight into various areas of communications, as well as press and public relations processes. I was able to get to know people who share my passion for film, and establish friendships with some very talented folks.

On a more academic note, working at a/perture introduced me to many possible careers in film that I had never considered. Being able to work with Lawren, who kept me informed with the film process, gave me insight into the business and allowed me to learn more about the financial aspects.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at a/perture, and am very thankful that I had the chance to be an employee and work with such wonderful people!

I doubt I would have been able to have these valuable experiences at a larger, more commercial theatre. Since a/perture is an independent movie theatre, I was able to learn more about the film business, and the importance of being a part of the community.

I’m sure I’ll miss the friends I made and being surrounded by wonderful movies, but I hope to come back and work from time to time.

Also, I’ll go back to school having had a wonderful summer of films, friends, and cakeballs!

And Jigar is the coolest, funniest, smartest human being alive....it's really not fair to the rest of the human race.

1 comment: