Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lowdown on Get Low

It seems that the word is already out about our latest film to open, Get Low. You all came out in droves this past weekend, restoring my faith in humanity. The other good thing about this movie...I actually got to contribute something cool - according to Lawren. While I said a few months back that the only thing Dalton, Georgia was good for was carpet, a fellow Catamount has made me a liar. Lori Beth Edgeman has been acting for over ten years (check out her IMDB page), actually has a role in Get Low, and even after reading the blog agreed to do a little Q&A with us.


My little sister is a fellow alumnus of the Dance Theater of Dalton, so I know all too well the annual performance of The Nutcracker, and understand you had the honor of being the first “Clara” in Dalton’s history. Did that experience, along with multiple years of being on stage help light the fire to get into acting?

I grew up on stage, performing at five years old as a singer. Being on stage has just been a part of me for so long, that dancing was just another thing that led me down the road. I ended up in NYC after graduation, thinking I would be a professional dancer, but I realized that it wasn’t going to happen. I came back to Atlanta and pursued college, took some acting classes in between, and worked on that craft. Doors started flying open for me during my first year in acting, and I was able to land a part in a Robert Altman film.

With a steady stream of credits dating back 10 years on your IMDB page, what has been your secret to continually snagging parts?

Steady growth, moments where it’s busier than others, but there are times where I was ready to quit. You have to stick it out there and hope something bites. It’s like a war out there searching for opportunities, you feel like you’re always putting on the battle suit. I am continually looking for opportunities to stretch and grow as an actress.

How do you keep yourself busy when you are not working with films?

I have a wonderful job teaching at the Dance Theater of Dalton, as a jazz instructor for company girls (in middle and high school) and also get to work with the younger girls. I also have a home studio where I do voice and acting instruction two days a week. I’m excited to be able to provide that opportunity in Dalton to kids, as I would have loved to have had that chance when I was younger. Working with kids, I am also able to use my degree in Education.

Any projects in the pipeline that we can get excited about maybe showing at a/perture?

I have a small role in a Robert Redford movie, The Conspirator. I was cast as a southern actress., but ended up being one of the Union supporters, which didn’t really work. Robert Redford came up to me and told me to “lose the accent”. They asked if I could do it, tried, and thankfully pleasantly surprised them, so that was nice.

In 50 words or less, describe the movie Get Low.

Amazing acting, beautiful cinematography, southern movie at its best, nails the understanding of the eccentricity of the characters.

In 10 words or less, convince our readers they should come see the movie this weekend.

Besides the stellar cast, everybody who was part of this film was amazing at what they were doing. Also, it’s a great opportunity to support the south.
I totally went over there – how about this? Because it’s really, really brilliant.

Tell us a little about your character and how she fits into the story.

Lucas Black runs the funeral home with Bill Murray. I play Lucas’s wife, helping to establish his back story as young husband/father. Friends with Sissy’s character as well, help develop that story as well.

I am sure you have been asked a million times now what it was like working with Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, and Sissy Spacek, among others, so I’ll flip it – how do you think they felt about working with you?

Who the heck knows! I hope they enjoyed my company and that I didn’t get in their way. I was amazed at how gracious they were and really sat back and enjoyed their craft.

I saw where you were able to attend the Toronto International Film Festival last year, as Get Low was one of the special screenings (2010 edition coming up in a few weeks!). What was that experience like? Out of curiosity, did your husband get to go? Just wanted a frame of reference for me being left behind (for the second consecutive year).


I was mostly the unknown, everybody was kind and gracious, which they didn’t have to do. I got to experience the parties and the red carpet - it was a fun celebration for all of us. After filming and hanging out in February and March to come together in September, and be bought by SPC a few days later, was amazing and well deserved for everyone. I actually went with my sister-in-law, so no help for you there.

Be honest, do you even remember who I am from Dalton, or did you immediately pick up the phone to get a restraining order when I blindly reached out to you?

I did not get a restraining order, but I did have to look you up. As a senior it's hard to remember the freshman, but when someone says they are from Dalton, I’m ready to help however.

Your thoughts on having a funeral party while still alive?

I think it would be kind of fun! Hope it’s not for Felix Bush’s reasons, but just to get together with all the people you love would be a blast.

Move over Charlie Rose, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment