Wednesday, April 28, 2010

RiverRun Recap

So we've taken it a little slow this week after the whirlwind that was RiverRun. We could not have had a better inaugural festival experience. We saw some familiar faces and welcomed some new ones (who we hope will come back for some of our regular films). No equipment malfunctions (I'm knocking on wood as I write this). Our concession sales were spectacular (especially coffee, which did you know we serve? and that it is organic?) All in all, RiverRun blew our expectations away and we cannot wait until April 2011. So as we always do after a festival, here is our recap in list form:

Longest time spent in line: like ten minutes at most...shortest wait ever. And as a sponsor, sometimes we even got to sit in the reserved seats. Yeah, we felt special.

Buckets of popcorn consumed: I don't think we can count the number at a/perture. Have to admit we loved being the only venue that had a popcorn kettle.

Coolest Q&A: with director Michael Nash of Climate Refugees. This documentary about the human effects of global climate change blew me away. Everyone on the planet should see this film. WOW!

Michael Nash Q&A @ a/perture

Biggest Surprise Hits: Suck the vampire rock comedy was a true crowd pleaser and even cooler was that director and star Rob Stefaniuk appeared at many of the screenings. He was super nice and let me take a picture of him at a/perture for our collection. Best Worst Movie, a documentary about the worst movie ever made, Troll 2, was a hilarious surprise as well. Even if you haven't seen Troll 2, which I haven't, you will still love this film. It would be so cool to bring this to a/perture someday.

Suck director/actor Rob Stefaniuk and actress Barbara Mamabolo

Best compliment: From founder of RiverRun Gene D'Onofrio who was really impressed with a/perture. He was super nice. Maybe he liked it enough to bring his son Vincent back one day.

Best celebrity sighting: Does Jigar count?

Best photo-op: Again, does Jigar count?

He did get all gussied up...

Films I hope to bring back to a/perture: Mao's Last Dancer, The Good Heart and I Am Love are on the top of the list.

Documentary category: RiverRun really out did themselves with the quality of documentary films this year. I hope some of you were able to see The Topp Twins, His & Hers and Last Train Home. I didn't get a chance to catch them, but I also heard great things about Basquiat and Only When I Dance. I really hope that the great attendance for the documentaries at RiverRun means that more folks will come to see them throughout the year at a/perture...hey like the one we are opening this Friday....The Art of the Steal.

I have to admit I am in a little bit of festival withdrawal, but also really excited to get back into the swing of things this weekend. We have not one, but two 2010 Oscar nominated films opening on Friday, A Prophet and The Secret of Kells, along with the aforementioned must see The Art of the Steal. And even more exciting, weather permitting, we will have our new outdoor area open for your pre and post-show enjoyment....

2 comments:

  1. I really hope you consider bring back to a/perature Last Train Home. I watched that movie two weeks ago and I cannot stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it - we agree it's a great film! We'll just have to see how it all works out scheduling and distribution wise.

    ReplyDelete