Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Annual pilgrimage to Toronto...

So I have been back from my annual expedition to the Toronto International Film Festival (okay it was only the second time, but I hope to make it yearly) a little over a week and now that I have caught up on most of my emails and cleared my head...I'm ready to get my thoughts down in a blog.

My mom accompanied me for part of the trip and Jigar joined me for a couple of days towards the end. I saw some really remarkable films and had a whirlwind time this year. I was able to meet some other industry folks and do a bit of networking for a/perture. I enjoyed every single minute!

Here are my thoughts in list form, same categories as last year:

Longest time spent in line: 1.5 hours for Dhobi Ghat. Dhobi Ghat is Aamir Khan’s new film and if you don’t know who Aamir Khan is think Tom Cruise on the Indian subcontinent. A mad frenzy of devoted fans greeted Mr. Khan on his arrival…it was pure chaos. My in-laws were super-impressed.

Buckets of popcorn consumed: more than last year….in fact some of it tasted like it was leftover from last year.

Coolest Q&As: there were actually a lot more at this year’s festival. Directors and cast were more available and were totally stoked to talk about their films. Here were some highlights:
1.) Tom Hooper, director of The King’s Speech, who brought along Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush…What can I say, The King’s Speech is my pick to win the Best Picture Oscar, so just imagine how excited the audience was and how engaging the talent was as a result.
2.) Stephen Frears, director of Tamara Drewe, who brought along Gemma Arterton and Dominic Cooper. Stephen Frears is perhaps the funniest man alive. He had the audience in stitches. I fantasize about Mr. Frears coming to attend a q&a at a/perture when we open Tamara Drewe.
3.) Never Let Me Go - Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, author Kazuo Ishiguro, screenwriter Alex Garland (author of a great little book called The Beach) and director Mark Romanek were all in attendance. The film was simply beautiful. I have to admit that I didn’t read the novel, but judging by the audience reaction they really thought the adaptation lived up.


Biggest surprise hit: Dirty Girl – honestly I could just sit and watch this loveable film over and over again. Juno Temple (you may remember her from Atonement) and newcomer Jeremy Dozier play unlikely friends in this quirky love story/comedy/salute to the Midwest in the eighties. Director Abe Sylvia is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Celebrity sightings: So we lucked out this year and got hooked up with an invite to a Fox Searchlight party honoring some of their films…here is just a sampling of who we were in the same room with: Vincent Cassel(swoon), Danny Boyle, Maria Bello, Michael Sheen, Minnie Driver, Tony Goldwyn, Hillary Swank, Andrew Garfield (who you can check out soon in Never Let Me Go).

Best photo-op: my mom at the Fox Searchlight party…don’t we look like celebs


New favorite song: I actually have two favorite soundtracks this year…Submarine, featuring music by Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys & It’s Kind of a Funny Story with some great songs from Broken Social Scene

Number of visits to Starbucks for coffee: at least a dozen

Number of visits to Starbucks for free wifi: none because my iphone was telling me Toronto had “free wifi”…not true…should have stuck with Starbucks

World Premieres: Black Swan…. pretty amazing being there with Darren Aronofsky, Natalie Portman and Vincent Cassel (swoon again). It didn’t matter that we were sitting up practically in the sky watching the film.

Films I hope to bring to a/perture: (click on title for link to film's website)

1.) The King’s Speech – finger’s crossed that it stays in the arthouse circuit!!!
2.) Made in Dagenham – this is just genuinely a fun and uplifting film based on a true story – and I am totally calling Sally Hawkins to be nominated for Best Actress…her performance was pitch-perfect.
3.) Tamara Drewe – don’t really have to hope since we already have it booked for November…did I mention this is an ensemble piece with a great supporting cast?
4.) Dirty Girl – William H. Macy, Mary Steenburgen and Dwight Yoakam are also cast-members.
5.) Beautiful Boy – Maria Bello and Michael Sheen give riveting performances as two grieving parents. The film is by first time director Shawn Ku and at the q&a Maria Bello said that he was honestly the best director she had ever worked with. We saw Shawn Ku on his way out at the airport and he was super nice and humble and just impressed me even more…

6.) SUPER - Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page play superheroes in this dark “live-action” comedy…sold? The animation in the title sequence is a bonus and is brought to you by some of the folks responsible for Yo Gabba Gabba…thank you so much to IFC films for picking up this gem.
7.) Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer – this documentary by director Alex Gibney is insightful, engaging, humorous and above all timely.
8.) 127 Hours – based on the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston, the man who was forced to self-amputate his arm. Director Danny Boyle and James Franco, who plays Ralston, hold nothing back.
9.) Black Swan – how could I pass up the opportunity (if I am lucky enough) to bring a Darren Aronofsky film to a/perture? Barbara Hershey (star of one of the best films ever made - Hoosiers) is superb in the role of Natalie Portman's mother.
10.) Rabbit Hole – how could I pass up the opportunity (if I am lucky enough) to bring a John Cameron Mitchell film to a/perture? Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart are perfectly cast and have great on-screen chemistry. This film is nothing like Hedwig and the Angry Inch… which really goes to show you how talented Mitchell is.
11.) Life, Above All – this film was just nominated to represent South Africa in the Foreign Language Oscar race. I predict it makes the short-list at least. It takes a real and honest look at how AIDS affects one family in rural South Africa.
12.) It’s Kind of a Funny Story – opening October 8!!!! starring Jigar's man-crush Zach Galifinakis.
13.) Never Let Me Go – opening October 15!!!

Film I will never in a million years bring to a/perture: Julia’s Eyes

Films with the most buzz that I wish I could have seen: Inside Job, Heartbeats, Barney’s Version, Of God’s and Men, Incendies and Blue Valentine... just to name a few...

Proof that Jigar was in attendance....Benihana in Toronto...where Jigar took me for my birthday dinner...


No comments:

Post a Comment