Thursday, January 7, 2010

No time for words....well maybe just a few

There are only 3o minutes left until January 8, 2010....these are perhaps my last minutes of calm before we open the doors of a/perture tomorrow. Jigar is busy making journal entries and double-checking his favorite POS system, so the curator is back at the helm. I am getting a bit sentimental as I sit here thinking about tomorrow. It really has been such an incredible adventure. As I sat in the theaters with my staff, test screening our opening films earlier tonight, I realized what a long road it has been and how it has all been TOTALLY worth it. I have to use this opportunity to thank everyone who has been so supportive of a/perture and the idea of bringing a small indie theater to downtown Winston-Salem. I never thought so many people would be this excited and I hope we live up to all your expectations. We will sure try our best to! As much as the recent press has focused on me, I really could not have done any of this without my wonderful family. My dad has hammered and nailed and glued and worked miracles on a low budget making things look spectacular. My mom has babysat on a moments notice and run errands and become a pro at laminating things. My sister-in-law, Jigna, has now become a part-time au pair/marketing intern/concessionaire/translator,etc.etc. My brother Jay, pushed a pallet-jack back and forth across fourth street in lunch time traffic and is always promoting a/perture on facebook. My sister-in-law, Katie, has also contributed babysitting hours which you can probably tell by now is a very important job. My in-laws, Sam and Sheela, endured Chuck-e-Cheese last week when Jake spent a week with them so that we could spend every waking hour getting things ready at a/perture. My son has made me laugh and really appreciate every single time he says that he wants to go "downtown." (And thanks to Nigel too, just for being a dog.) And last but not least, I have to thank Jigar. He has been at many times a "silent" partner and let me enjoy most of the glory and that is why I love him. I could go on thanking a slew of others, but I will save that for another day because I should probably get some sleep. Below are some recent pictures. For those of you who plan to come opening weekend, we look forward to your patronage!






And check out this video from our open house....

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to visit a/perture! Probably not this weekend, but soon! Thank you for bringing film to downtown, and art/foreign/independent film to W-S! And thanks for serving wine .. .and Twizzlers! Best of luck on your opening weekend! CU soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing... Congratulations! I can't wait to hear/read more about the successes to follow. Good luck on opening weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! We had a blast seeing Panic. Thanks so much for opening such a great place in the heart of W-S... and not a moment too soon. I'm sure you're looking forward to a bright future.

    BTW, great choice of music on the video! Love The Avetts.

    ReplyDelete