Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Leading Ladies

I thought about writing this whole blog in Spanish in honor of two of the current films at a/perture, Broken Embraces and The Maid, but then I realized the extent of my language abilities was Brendan Fraser learning how to say "The cheese is old and moldy" in Encino Man. Thank goodness A Serious Man is playing so I can still write in my native tongue. Although if you do go see the Coen Brothers film, and notice subtitles at the open, don't panic and think we started the wrong movie. It has a scene at the beginning that I'm still trying to decipher and understand how it fit in with the rest of the film. How's that for a ringing endorsement? I promise it's good.

One of the first films that Lawren had high hopes of bringing to town was Broken Embraces. You might recall her first takeover of the blog, which had a picture of her and Lluis Homar at the Toronto International Film Festival (I've resurrected it so you don't have to go searching). I've also attached a photo of Lluis with co-star Penelope Cruz. I'll let you be the judge of which leading lady looks better on Lluis's arm...

This is the part where I'm supposed to say "Come on, Lawren looks better with Mr. Homar than Penelope Cruz", but IT'S PENELOPE CRUZ! This is the part where I ask our readers if anyone has a spare couch for me. Just kidding honey, you're waaaayy hotter than Penelope. She's not even in my top ten of free passes. I really should stop before I get in more trouble.

This weekend we add The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, directed/written by author Rebecca Miller to the rotation. With an all-star cast including Robin Wright Penn, Blake Lively (who may or may not be on that free pass list), Winona Ryder, Monica Bellucci, Maria Bello, Alan Arkin, and Keanu Reeves (best work still Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure), forget about the supposed snow/wintry precipitation and enjoy the warmth of our theaters.



Wait, they make movies out of books? I was sure that movies had to come first after watching George Lucas bastardize the Star Wars franchise with all the subsequent novellas (wikipedia, what do you not know??)

No comments:

Post a Comment