Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Turn it up to eleven

Another week, another lack of posts. But this time I feel like I at least have a good reason. The family took what could be considered our last vacation for awhile as we get this theater up and running. Lawren treated me to a weekend in Austin, Texas chock full of 24 oz beers (everything's bigger in Texas!), great food, and even better live music at the Austin City Limits Music Festival. Going back to the standardized tests of high school, the best analogy to describe our own personal passions would be the following - Lawren : Movies :: Jigar : Music. People of Winston, if you make a/perture a success, I promise to try and open up a music venue in downtown. If Lawren will let me.

In theater related news, things are coming along on schedule. We're working on getting the equipment installers here sooner than later and the rest of construction is smashingly on schedule. Lawren's even trying to hire some people - check out the website for more info. While in Austin, we walked by one of the inspirations for the theater, the Alamo Drafthouse, and were made aware how painfully awesome the place is by my Austinite cousins. We were also treated to a multitude of ideas for a/perture by my old college roommate. If I had time to write a novel, I'd list out all his suggestions here, but suffice it to say he's excited, and hopefully we can make the Short Circuit marathon he suggested work.

Another old school mate quickly put me back in my place after suggesting "You're the Best Around" was the ultimate movie song by offering up "Tiny Dancer" in Almost Famous as well as "Highway to the Danger Zone" in Top Gun. To round out my music to film analogy, here's the soundtrack of our weekend at the ACL Festival.

Avett Brothers - "Slight Figure of Speech"
Phoenix - "1901"
John Legend - "Redemption Song (Bob Marley Cover)"
Them Crooked Vultures - I don't know any song names, but a band with Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and John Paul Jones can't be bad
Kings of Leon - "Revelry"
Airborne Toxic Event - "This Magic Moment (Drifters Cover)"
Citizen Cope - "Bullet and a Target"
Bon Iver - "Skinny Love"
The Scabs - "H.E.B."
Passion Pit - "Little Secrets"
Girl Talk - Everything, especially the "Time After Time -> Tiny Dancer -> Don't Stop Believin'" mashup
Pearl Jam - "Alive"

No comments:

Post a Comment